Do you find yourself asking, “How much does a new roof cost?”
Let’s face it. Your roof is arguably the most important part of your home. It shelters you and protects your family and possessions from the elements. Your roof can even help you be more energy efficient. You can’t put a price tag on the safety of your home.
But when it’s time to replace your roof, your budget quickly becomes the topic of conversation.
We understand how tempting it is to try and save money on a new roof, especially because the numbers, by themselves, can be a little intimidating. A homeowner in the United States might spend anywhere from $6000 to $7000, depending on where they live.
Roof Cost Factors
The price of a roof will depend on quite a few factors. Some of these factors will be:
- The size of the roof
- The pitch of the roof (this means the slope of the roof. A steep roof will take more time and materials than a flat roof)
- The type of roof application
- The materials used
- The number of layers
- The code requirements for your roof
- Where you live and the roofing contractors near your location
- If you have extra adornments that need replacement during installation
For this reason, every roof installation is unique, and thus every budget is unique. You will need to talk to an experienced contractor at Quality Exteriors for an estimate specific to your home.
How Much Does a New Roof Cost: Realistic Roof Cost
You’re probably still wondering, “How expensive is a new roof?” Though the answer is pretty complicated, we can sum it up by saying that a new roof can potentially be very expensive. But there’s a good reason they are.
At Quality Exteriors, for instance, we put a lot of time, effort, and equipment into keeping your roof in shape. This includes installing it properly and using materials that will stand the test of time.
Just because good roofs and good installation tend to be expensive doesn’t mean you can’t shop around a little. In fact, you should make sure you get 3 or 4 estimates and get a good range of prices. But don’t just take the lowest bid; it will probably cost you more money in the long run. We provide additional information for shingle roofs here: Cost of Shingle Roofs in Bossier City.
If you have damage to your roof, it’s possible you don’t need a whole new roof. In this case, you could look at roof repair costs. These rates will vary depending on the market.
How Expensive is a New Roof: Roofing Cost Per Square
When you’re getting a new roof, you should find out the costs on a “per square” basis. Your specific quote of cost per square of materials will include:
- The costs of the materials
- Extra materials for the end and beginning of the roof
- Extra protective elements if you live in extremely hot or extremely cold weather
- Waste materials removal
- Labor costs
When you look at a quote broken down this way, it will be a bit easier to understand how your roof is so expensive. It’s also always helpful for a homeowner to know exactly where all their money is going.
How Expensive is a New Roof: Roofing Installation Setbacks
We talked about getting the cost per square of materials. But that doesn’t cover any hassles or problems your roofer runs into during installation. Your installation crew could have problems with the ventilation, gutters, or chimneys. Fixing these issues will probably add to the total cost of your roof.
Most of the time, while your roofer works on your estimate, they will assess any potential problems and add them to the quote. For example, if you have a 25-square-foot roof, you may get an initial quote of $3000 over the phone. Upon closer inspection, that number could double.
Price Increases for Roofing Installations
Aside from problems with the vents and gutters that we already mentioned, here are a few more issues that might cause your initial quote to increase:
- A chimney or skylight has leaks or problems with flashing that need repair
- There are too many layers of shingles that require removal
- The roof is very steep and takes more time. This will increase the price of your roof even if a flatter roof of the same square footage would cost less.
Roof Styles and Extra Roof Costs
The style of roof you want, or the style the architecture of your home requires, also factors into the price. There are several different types of roofs, all of which carry different price tags.
Some of the common styles of roofs are:
- Ranch-style roof. This is a very simple, straightforward kind of roof. It will be less expensive than other types because of this.
- Colonial-style roof. This is less simple than a ranch-style roof but also includes a few slopes. It will be more expensive than a ranch-style roof, but still not astronomically expensive.
- Tudor-style roof. This type of roof includes many slopes. It is a potentially difficult installation. Thus, it may be more expensive than other types of roofs.
Will Insurance Pay For My Roof?
That question is even more complicated than “How expensive is a new roof?”
The only way to really find out if your insurance covers a new roof is to contact the insurance provider directly. Your coverage usually depends on many different factors, including but not limited to:
- The age of the roof
- The area you live in
- How your roof sustained damage
Knowing the specifics of your particular policy is also important.
If you want to better understand how your roof’s condition affects your insurance policies, check our our blog here: Roof Age and Insurance
How Much Does a New Roof Cost? Contact Quality Exteriors and Find Out!
Quality Exteriors services the Shreveport-Bossier area with all their home exterior needs. Whether it’s roofing, windows, or siding, Quality Exteriors can help. If you or someone you know needs a new roof, give us a call at 318.747.1254. You can also leave us a message on our site to schedule a free home or business inspection!