Let’s talk about roofing. More specifically, let’s talk about polycarbonate roofing. The material, polycarbonate, is highly popular for structures such as greenhouses, patios, sheds, and even conservatories. As a strong and lightweight, thermoplastic material, we enjoy recommending it to customers looking for something new around their property.
If you already utilize a polycarbonate material, and it needs a replacement, we can do that too!
At Quality Exteriors Roofing, our team of Louisiana roofing installation contractors pride ourselves on offering only the best roofing materials installed by highly skilled professionals. In fact, we stand behind our team with a Workmanship Guarantee. This means that if your home suffers damage due to poor workmanship within two years of installation, we repair the damage at no cost to you. We always strive to put our best foot forward while making improvements to your home. For more information on roofing in Shreveport, or to schedule your free home inspection, give us a call at 318-747-1254.
What Is Polycarbonate Roofing?
Polycarbonate roofing is strong, durable, and thermoplastic. Additionally, it is lightweight and capable of withstanding temperatures at both extreme ends of the spectrum. For these reasons, we recommend polycarbonate as a material for many different roofing applications. Generally, it is not suitable for your entire house. However, it’s certainly a great option for your deck, garage, patio, greenhouse, or shed. Some people even use it for covering their pool or for industrial warehouse roofing. For all intents and purposes, polycarbonate is nearly indestructible. That makes it a great choice for outdoor projects.
What Are the Advantages of Polycarbonate Roofing?
As we stated before, polycarbonate is extremely strong. However, it does have other notable advantages as a roofing material. Below, we list some of the best aspects that polycarbonate has to offer.
- Polycarbonate is lightweight and impact resistant. It is very easy to carry and transport, as well as to install. There is no need to worry about cracks or breakage. Additionally, it is a flexible material, which adds even more ease to the transportation process.
- Specifically, polycarbonate is about 200 times stronger than glass. Rain, hail, and even rocks have virtually no effect on it. It is also fire resistant. For individuals in areas prone to fires, this is a great material for roofing.
- Many sheets of this material are UV-protected. This means that it protects against harmful and damaging UV rays from the sun. For this reason, it serves as an excellent option for building greenhouses.
What Are the Disadvantages of Polycarbonate Roofing?
Polycarbonate roofing has only one notable disadvantage. Even though this material is not prone to cracking or breaking, it easily scratches. These scratches, if they build up, make the material look old and dull. However, we do offer anti-scratch coatings to negate this issue. With this coating, your polycarbonate roofing will look nearly perfect for at least the next few decades.
Types of Polycarbonate Roofing
As a roofing material, polycarbonate is surprisingly versatile. We offer several different options, each with a unique purpose and appearance to suit your specific needs. Below, we discuss the different types of polycarbonate roofing that we offer here at Quality Exteriors Roofing in Shreveport.
- Clear polycarbonate: This is a basic, clear version suited for all sorts of roofing projects.
- Colored/tinted polycarbonate: Colored and tinted versions allow for greater versatility and beautiful appearances.
- Mirrored polycarbonate: This version possesses the clarity of glass with 200 times the strength.
- Bulletproof polycarbonate: Many people call this “bulletproof glass,” even though it isn’t glass. It provides security for a wide variety of locations, like banks or correctional facilities.
- Abrasion-resistant polycarbonate: This version, while a bit pricier than the original, offers scratch resistance.
- Anti-static polycarbonate: Certain locations, like labs or plants, require a material that does not produce static. This option is perfect for highly controlled, static-sensitive environments.
- Flame retardant polycarbonate: While regular polycarbonate is extremely temperature resistant, some uses require further protection. This option inhibits the spreading or creation of flames, and is perfect for use around electrical currents.
- FDA-approved polycarbonate: For use around food products, this is a great option for optimal food safety.
- Multi-wall polycarbonate: This option is even more durable, as it contains multiple walls of polycarbonate. Someone may want to use this for a greenhouse, skylight, or so much more. It is a fantastically strong, insulative material.
How Long Does Polycarbonate Roofing Last?
In general, expect your polycarbonate roofing to last at least 10-20 years, depending on the type and the environment of where you live. Multi-wall sections typically last longer than single wall versions. This is due to their increased durability. Additionally, abrasion-resistant polycarbonate lasts longer than the regular polycarbonate. This is because it does not require replacement as a result of surface scratches.
Shreveport Bossier Roofing Experts
It is no secret that siding and windows are integral to the look of a house. But did you know that roofs can also play a part in your home’s appearance? Quality Exteriors specializes in all aspects of exterior construction, including roofing, siding, and windows. Our team has been serving Louisiana and Texas for years with guaranteed quality workmanship. Quality Exteriors is licensed and insured; we have an internal quality assurance program to ensure customer satisfaction for each project. If you’re looking for roofing maintenance in Bossier, siding installation or repair in Bossier, or window installation in Bossier or the surrounding areas, we’ve got you covered. Call 318-747-1254 today for your free home inspection.